Thursday, January 15, 2009

Adjustments

I have finally accepted that I am not going to be able to keep up this blog in the way I was originally thinking, and the way I started out. I just do not have the time. Accepting my limitations is definitely not my favorite thing, but as I am learning again and again (I wonder why God has to keep showing me...?) it is necessary.

I will still be writing here about my journey of reading through the Bible 5 times this year. I will just not be going into as much detail on the passages...which, really, will be more what I had in mind for this blog. It's just that after I read and then skim through what I've read again to pick out things to share it is so hard to for me to sum it up! So I end up writing way more than I intend and it takes much longer than I actually have! This, in turn, leads to days and days of not posting because I know I need more time than I have...

So, here is my new plan. On this blog I will share some general, overview thoughts on my bible reading, I would like to write everyday but, realistically it will probably be 2-3 times a week. This will also be a 'deeper thoughts' type of blog where I will share about how I am growing in my walk, what I feel God is showing me, struggles I am having, etc.

So, to finish off this post I will bring you up to date on my reading. Yesterday I finished Judges, read Ruth and started 1 Samuel. Exodus was amazing. I am always awed by what God does for the Israelites in the book of Exodus...and by how he is visibly there leading them in the desert. I am also astounded by the Israelite's habit of rebelling in spite of the fact that they can see the physical manifestation of God with them (the pillar of fire by night and the pillar of cloud by day). Then I think of how many times I have rebelled against God and I have his Holy Spirit dwelling in me! Hmm...

Something I took note of this time reading Exodus, which I don't remember much from previous readings, is how God spoke to Moses face to face (33:11 - The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to a friend.) as He had not done with any other man. Also earlier in 6:2-3 God says, 'I am the Lord. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the Lord I did not make myself known to them.' I found that fascinating, God revealing a new aspect of Himself to His people!

Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy had a lot of laws, and directions for sacrifices but also more about the Israelites journey in the desert, including their adding 40 years to their sojourn in the desert because they were afraid of the residents of the promised land. Then in Joshua we finally get to see them enter the land God promised them! Reading all the laws and directions for sacrifices was difficult at times yet at the same time it is fascinating to see the detail that God gave them about all these things. It also reminds me that God cares about all the little details of our lives!

Reading so much of the Bible everyday and, therefore, reading through these books very quickly has given me a better grasp of the story told there. It hasn't lost it's flow as it sometimes seems to if you just read a chapter or two at a time, or, definitely, when you just read a bit here and a bit there. I have a better understanding of who the judges were and their significance. I also have a better understanding of the significance of the Israelites wanting a king - as I will be reading about tonight (I haven't done my reading yet today).

I also have an even greater appreciation for God's great mercy and grace for His people. Time and again we see God's chosen people (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, the Israelites...) doing things that are displeasing to God or outright rebelling against Him and yet again and again He shows them mercy! Yes, we see His wrath as well (Korah and his followers, Aaron's sons, several plagues on they Israelites brought about by their rebellion...) and we see the consequences of their actions at times but most often we see His mercy and His graciousness in providing for, and indeed prospering them in spite of their 'mess-ups'. It really is amazing and wonderful!

It is hard for me to really describe how much all this Bible reading is impacting my life. One wonderful thing about it is that it has definitely made Bible reading a priority in my day - as it should be, but I have struggled with this...all my life, really. Having 'reading the Bible in 90 days' as my goal has given me the direction I need - and I have to give it priority if I am going to get all the reading done that I need to do each day to reach my goal. Being in the Word so much everyday has, not surprisingly, helped my thought life tremendously. This is another area that I have struggled with so this is a huge blessing! God has really been helping me in this area for a while now, as I have been asking for His help more, but being in His Word has brought even greater improvement. I find it so much easier to be positive and to have peace about things that I am concerned about.

This first time around I am just reading, taking some notes when I feel the need to and enjoying the story. When I start over again in April I plan to write down questions I have about what I read and other things I want to study further, then I will do my best to find the answers. When I am part of the way through my second reading I will see what I plan to do on the third reading. (-: I am so excited about all that I am learning and will learn throughout this year! I still have such a long way to go as a Christian but I am so thankful for the growth God is allowing in my life!

What an amazing God we have!

No comments:

Post a Comment